About Me

My photo
Every week I will try something new: this can range from the mundane, to the sensational via the downright pointless, but it must be a totally new experience for me. All ideas are welcome, within reason.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Welcome to The Spice of Life!

Somebody once said to me:
"I’ll try anything twice…in case I got it wrong the first time".
Not a bad philosophy on life if you ask me. On my 28th birthday, my Mum very charitably bought me a book called Turning Thirty. One glaringly obvious truth hidden amongst what was mostly cliché-ridden, throw-away fluff, was that many thirtysomethings are very much set in their ways: they know exactly what they like and are reluctant to try anything new for fear of disappointment.

The blog you are about to read stems from my desire to avoid this kind of trap: Aubergines are yummy, but why not cook asparagus this evening? My exercise of choice is cycling, but how would I fair in a tap dancing class? I love the silken tones of Chet Baker, but how about a bit of Sun Ra?

I guess now I could be classed as thirtysomethingplus. In fact I’m expecting Mum’s next thoughtful gift to be a novel entitled Pushing Forty. But age is just a number and, at any time in your existence, life is like conveyor belt sushi: if you don’t grab as much as you can, then you won’t get your money’s worth. I intend to get more than my money’s worth (hopefully without making myself throw up in the process).

So I have come to a decision: every week I will try something new: this can range from the mundane, to the sensational via the downright pointless, but it must be a totally new experience for me. All ideas are welcome, within reason: I am not about to embark on a serial killing spree or sleep with my boss, and financial constraints will prevent anything involving a trip to the other side of the world (although all donations are welcome and will not be squandered!)

15 comments:

Shakin Swindley said...

You should totally join a Morris Dancing troupe and stay right through to competition level....

Clairvoyant said...

Finding a Morris Dance troupe in Belgium....now there's a challenge!

Mademoiselle Catherine said...

Why not try Dean Morris cards instead?

Shakin Swindley said...

Here you go http://www.vitrifolk.be/

Clairvoyant said...

Dean Morris? I'm afraid it'snot new to me. I bought my boss the "Fuck Off Back to Economy" mug. He loves it.

Clairvoyant said...

Shakey - I don't see any May poles or bells on the toes :(

I will bear this in mind though.

Mademoiselle Catherine said...

Of course it's not new. But that doesn't make those cards horrid, does it?! ;)

Clairvoyant said...

My apologies, I thought you were suggesting it as one of my "new" experiences. I do like those cards :)

pauline said...

Ferrets and trousers spring to mind! xxx

Maria de la Buena said...

You should talk to a spy on a train....

Clairvoyant said...

Ferrets and trousers? Not sure I like where this is going already...

Better than talking to a spy on the train, maybe I should become a spy...

Lisa Coster said...

Seeing you're into biking, why not try to ride a unicycle. BTW: Love the way your blog looks!

Clairvoyant said...

Lisa, that's my favourite suggestion so far. There are quite a few unicycles around in Liège too, just need to befriend someone :)

lesbelugi@tokyo said...

Maintenant si! Tu peux venir a l'autre bout du monde pour le prix de ton billet d'avion pour Tokyo...
En plus tu n'as pas du le faire trop trop souvent et c'est très chouette !.
A bon entendeur salut !

Clairvoyant said...

Volontiers! Mais je mangerai pas de rocquefort à 25 € :)